Material Safety Data Sheet

Cupric Sulfate
CAS # 7758-99-8

1. Chemical Product and Company Identification
  Synonyms: Copper (II) Sulfate Pentahydrate (1:1:5); blue vitriol; Sulfuric acid copper (2+) salt (1:1), Pentahydrate            
CAS No.: 7758-99-8
Molecular Weight:
249.68
Chemical Formula:
CuSO4 5H2O
 

Company Information:

ChemicalStore.com
A Division of New Jersey Industrial Research
1059 Main Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07011

For Information, call: (973) 405-6248

2. Hazards Identification
  Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. AFFECTS THE LIVER AND KIDNEYS. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Health Rating: 2 - Moderate
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 0 - None
Contact Rating: 2 - Moderate
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Orange (General Storage)
0 - Minimum Hazard
1 - Slight Hazard
2 - Moderate Hazard
3 - Serious Hazard
4 - Severe Hazard

H = Health
F = Fire
R = Reactivity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Potential Health Effects
---------------------------
Inhalation:
Causes irritation to respiratory tract, symptoms may include coughing, sore throat, and shortness of breath. May result in ulceration and perforation of respiratory tract. When heated, this compound may give off copper fume, which can cause symptoms similar to the common cold, including chills and stuffiness of the head.
Ingestion:
May cause burning pain in the mouth, esophagus, and stomach. Hemorrhagic gastritis, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, metallic taste, and diarrhea may occur. If vomiting does not occur immediately systemic copper poisoning may occur. Symptoms may include capillary damage, headache, cold sweat, weak pulse, kidney and liver damage, central nervous excitation followed by depression, jaundice, convulsions, blood effects, paralysis and coma. Death may occur from shock or renal failure. Fatalities have occurred as a result of ingesting gram quantities of copper sulfate.
Skin Contact:
May cause irritation and itching.
Eye Contact:
Dust may cause irritation. Contact may cause conjunctivitis, ulceration, or clouding of the cornea.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated skin exposure may cause dermatitis. Prolonged or repeated exposure to dusts of copper salts may cause discoloration of the skin or hair, blood and liver damage, ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum, runny nose, metallic taste, and atrophic changes and irritation of the mucous membranes.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders, impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function, glucose 6-phosphate-dehydrogenase deficiency, or pre-existing Wilson's disease may be more susceptible to the effects of this material.
3. First Aid Measures
  Inhalation:
Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call a physician.
Ingestion:
Induce vomiting immediately as directed by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Call a physician immediately.
Skin Contact:
In case of contact, wipe off excess material from skin then immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Call a physician.
Eye Contact:
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention immediately.
4. Fire Fighting Measures
  Fire:
Not considered to be a fire hazard.
Explosion:
Not considered to be an explosion hazard. Sealed container may rupture during fire conditions from pressure water vapor release.
Fire Extinguishing Media:
Use any means suitable for extinguishing surrounding fire. Water spray may be used to keep fire exposed containers cool.
Special Information:
In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. When heated above 110C (230F) material will melt. Avoid using a direct water stream on molten material as it may causes splattering.
5. Disposal Considerations
  Whatever cannot be saved for recovery or recycling should be managed in an appropriate and approved waste disposal facility. Processing, use or contamination of this product may change the waste management options. State and local disposal regulations may differ from federal disposal regulations. Dispose of container and unused contents in accordance with federal, state and local requirements.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***********

DISCLAIMER: New Jersey Industrial Research Center provides the information contained herein in good faith but makes no representation as to its comprehensiveness or accuracy.  This document is intended only as a guide to the appropriate precautionary handling of the material by a properly trained person using this product.  Individuals receiving the information must exercise their independent judgment in determining its appropriateness for a particular purpose.  New Jersey Industrial Research Center is not responsible for damages resulting from use of or reliance upon this information.